Huntingdonshire is bounded, North by Northamptonshire, East by Cambridgeshire, South by Bedfordshire, and West by Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire. It is about 26 miles long and 20 broad; and is divided into four Hundreds — Hustingstone, Leightonston, Norman-Cross, and Toseland. Rivers: the Nen and the Ouse. It has five Market-Towns. Is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Lincoln, and in the Norfolk Circuit. Area 370 square miles, or 236,800 acres. Population, 58,549.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Abbotsley, or Abbots-Leigh, a parish in the hund. of Toseland, St Neot’s union, Huntingdonshire; 4½ miles south-east from St Neots. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Huntingdon, and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £8 17s.; gross income, £85. Patrons, the master and fellows of Baliol College, Oxford. Pop. in 1801, 287; in 1831, 369. Houses, 82. Acres, 2,110. A. P. £1,586. Poor rates, in 1837, £291.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Abbotsley (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 4 ½ miles (S. E.) from St. Neot’s ; containing 443 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres, and is bounded by a brook formed by the draining of the adjacent lands, and which, passing onward between , three and four miles, discharges itself into the river Ouse at St. Neot’s. The pillow-lace manufacture affords employment to the female population. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 17.; net income, £85 ; patrons and impropriators, Master, and Fellows of Balliol College, Oxford. The glebe consists 6f 185 acres, of which 125 were allotted to the vicar in lieu of the small tithes on the inclosure of the waste lands in 1837; the glebe-house has been rebuilt. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, two aisles, and a tower at the west end, with a north and south porch, a west entrance through the tower, and a chancel door; it is supposed to have been erected between the accessions of William Rufus and Edward III., and was thoroughly repaired in 1837. A Roman road once passed along the western boundary of the parish, and in its track coins of the Roman emperors are occasionally found. Dr. Abbott, father of the Rt. Hon. Charles Abbott, speaker of the house of commons, subsequently created Lord Colchester, was vicar here in the reign of George II.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.