Ware is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Hertfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Amwell End.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558; see also Thundridge
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1801
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Irvingite (Catholic Apostolic Church), Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Lady Huntingond's Connexion and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Ware
- Stanstead Abbots
- Great Amwell
- Hertford All Saints with St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WARE, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Herts. The town stands on the river Lea, and on the Eastern Counties railway, 2½ miles ENE of Hertford; was called Guare or Guaris by the Saxons, and Waras at Domesday; was the scene of a manœuvre by the Danes, who brought up their vessels to it and constructed a dam across the river to defend them, and of the counteraction of that manœuvre by Alfred, who diverted the water from the river's bed and stranded the vessels; belonged, at Domesday, to Hugh de Grentemaisnel, who founded at it a Benedictine priory, a cell to Uticain abbey, in Normandy: passed to R. Blanchmains, the Earls of Winchester, the Wakes, the Hollands, the Montacutes, the Nevilles, the Plantagenets, the Fanshaws, and the Bydes; was, in 1242, the place of a tournament, at which the Earl of Pembroke was trampled to death; suffered damage by a flood in 1408; is noted by Shakespear, Johnson, and other writers for possession of an ancient carved oak bedstead, still to be seen at one of its inns; is now a seat of petty-sessions; includes, on the opposite side of the Lea, a suburb called Amwell-End; carries on malting, brewing, ropemaking, and sack-making; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, two chief inns, a police station, a town hall, a corn-exchange of 1867, a cattle-market of 1868, an iron bridge of 1845, a public library and reading room, a fine ancient church recently restored at a cost of £5,810, another church of 1858, three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £50 a year, national and British schools, two suites of alms houses, a workhouse, general charities £303, a weekly market on Tuesday, and two annual fairs. Pop. in 1861, 5,002. Houses, 1,005.
The parish includes Wareside hamlet, and comprises 4,700 acres. Real property, £31,057; of which £100 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,088; in 1861, 5,397. Houses, 1,077. The head living or St. Mary's is a vicarage, and that of Christchurch is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Rochester. Value of St. M., £350; of C., £150. Patron, of St. M., Trinity College, Cambridge; of C., R. Hanbury, Esq.; the p. curacy of Wareside is a separate benefice. The sub-district includes Thundridge parish, and comprises 6,900 acres. Pop., 5,886. Houses, 1,168. The district comprehends also Standon, Stanstead, and Hoddesdon sub-districts; and comprises 35,747 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £11,640. Pop. in 1851, 16,482; in 1861, 16,515. Houses, 3,339. Marriages in 1863, 101; births, 484, of which 25 were illegitimate; deaths, 345, of which 110 were at ages under 5 years, and 13 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 791; births, 4,948; deaths, 2,919. The places of worship, in 1851, were 17 of the Church of England, with 5,980 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 250 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 470 s.; 4 of Wesleyans, with 1,092 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 90 s.; 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 70 s.; 2 undefined, with 105 s.; 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic church, with 85 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 325 s. The schools were 30 public day-schools, with 1,995 scholars; 37 private day-schools, with 691 s.; 15 Sunday schools, with 1,156 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 13 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Albany John, Ware, Herts, bargemaster, March 18, 1826.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ware
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Rochester, Pre-1845 - London
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Braughing, Post-1844 - Ware
- Poor Law Union: Ware
- Hundred: Braughing
- Province: Canterbury