Alternative names: Stevenache
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independents and Wesleyans
Parishes adjacent to Stevenage
- Little Wymondley
- St Ippolyts
- Graveley with Chivesfield
- Great Wymondley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEVENAGE, a small town and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The town stands on the Great Northern railway, 4 miles SE by S of Hitchin; was known, at Domesday, as Stevenach; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling place; consists chiefly of one street, about ¾ of a mile long; and has a head post-office, a r. station, a police station, a public reading room and library, an ancient parish church, another church built in 1862, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £40 a year, a national school, three houses of the guild of literature and art built in 1865, alms houses with £31 a year, other charities £47, a straw-plait market on every Saturday, and a fair on 22 Sept. The parish comprises 4,434 acres. Real property, £10,522; of which £20 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,118; in 1861, 2,352. Houses, 512. The manor was given, by the Confessor, to Westminster abbey; and, by Edward VI., to the Bishops of London. Six barrows, supposed to be Danish, are ½ a mile S of the town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,007. Patron, W. R. Baker, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Comprehensive Gazetteer 1895
Letchmoore Green, a suburban portion of Stevenage town, in Stevenage parish, Herts.
Source: Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales; Brabner, John Henry Fryden; Volume: 4; William Mackenzie, London. 1895.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hitchin
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Rochester, Pre-1845 - Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Hitchin
- Poor Law Union: Hitchin
- Hundred: Broadwater
- Province: Canterbury