Shephall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.

Alternative names: Sheephall

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SHEPHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban’s, county of Hertford, 2¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Stevenage; containing 265 inhabitants. It comprises about 1150 acres, of which 795 are arable, 244 pasture, and 110 woodland. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £9. 5. 10., and has a net income of £193; the patronage and impropriation belong to the Crown. A fund of £24. 16. per annum, arising from bequests, is distributed among the poor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hitchin
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – London
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – St Albans, Post-1844 – Welwyn
  • Poor Law Union: Hitchin
  • Hundred: Cashio
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts