Marsworth is an Ancient Parish mostly in Buckinghamshire and partly in Hertfordshire.
Alternative names: Masworth
Other places in the parish include: Asthorpe, Long Marstone and Ashthorpe, Long Marston, and Astrope.
Parish registers begin: 1720 (BT's 1575)
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Marsworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARSWORTH, or MASWCRTH, a village and a parish in the district of Berkhampstead and county of Buckingham. The village stands adjacent to the Grand Junction canal, near the Northwestern railway, 1½ mile NNE of Icknield-street, 2¾ S of Cheddington-Jnnction r. station, and 2¾ N of Tring; and has a post office under Tring. The parish includes also parts of Long Marston and Asthorpe hamlets, and comprises 880 acres. IReal property, £2,393. Pop. in 1851, 479; in 1861, 549. Houses, 106. The property is divided among a few. Urns, ancient coins, and other relics of antiquity have been found. A large reservoir of the Grand Junction canal is here, and is a resort of anglers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is later English, in good condition; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains some ancient monuments of the West family. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Marsworth, 1 mile S, Ivinghoe. P. 484
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Berkhampstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 - Lincoln, Post-1844 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Post-1844 - Mursley, Pre-1845 - None
- Poor Law Union: Berkhampstead
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury