Little Berkhampstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1647
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BERKHAMPSTEAD, LITTLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Hertford, 4¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hertford; containing 555 inhabitants. The surface is hilly, and the soil consists of clay and gravel. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £7. 8. 6½., and in the gift of the Marquess of Salisbury: the tithes have been commuted for £250. 18. 4., and there are nearly 39 acres of glebe. At How Green is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On an elevated situation near an old manor-house, a circular tower of brick 100 feet in height, termed the Observatory, has been erected, which commands an extensive prospect.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hertford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Hertford
- Poor Law Union: Hertford
- Hundred: Hertford
- Province: Canterbury