Knebworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Broadwater.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1596
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KNEBWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 4 miles (N.) from Welwyn; containing 253 inhabitants, and comprising by computation more than 3000 acres. The manor-house of the Lytton family, who have been settled here since the time of Henry VII., contains some exquisitely carved oak. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 1. 10½., and in the patronage of Mrs. B. Lytton: the tithes have been commuted for £525, and the glebe consists of 70 acres. The church is a good structure in the early English style, and contains the sepulchral chapel of the Lyttons, in which are some handsome monuments.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hitchin
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Hitchin, Post-1844 – Welwyn
- Poor Law Union: Hitchin
- Hundred: Broadwater
- Province: Canterbury