Kensworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1615
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Studham, Bedfordshire
- Dunstable, Bedfordshire
- Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire
- Totternhoe, Bedfordshire
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KENSWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Market-Street; containing 842 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2500 acres, of which the surface is very hilly, and the soil various, but chiefly a strong red clay, alternated with marl. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £9. 13. 4.; net income, £180; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, London. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1798; the glebe comprises 110 acres. The church has portions in the early English style, with some of later date. The capitals of the western pillars exhibit the fable of the Wolf and the Crane on one side, and that of the Eagle and the Hare on the other; the doorway within the tower has capitals representing birds and human heads. Both doorways are of Caen stone.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Luton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Berkhampstead
- Poor Law Union: Luton
- Hundred: Dacorum
- Province: Canterbury