Graveley with Chivesfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Chivesfield and Chesfield.
Alternative names: Graveley, Graveley cum Chisfield, Graveley cum Chesfield
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1555
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Wymondley
- Great Wymondley
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GRAVELEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 2 miles (N.) from Stevenage; containing, with the merged parish of Chivesfield, 403 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1817a. 1r. 13p.; the soil is a black loam, resting on chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 0. 10., and in the gift of the Rev. T. Fordham Green: the tithes have been commuted for £430, and the glebe comprises 32 acres, with a house. The church has a square embattled tower at the west end, surmounted by a spire covered with lead. There are some remains of Chivesfield church. The Roman road from Verulam to Chesterfield passes through the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hitchin
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Hitchin
- Poor Law Union: Hitchin
- Hundred: Broadwater
- Province: Canterbury