Gilston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Sawbridgeworth
  • Netteswell, Essex
  • Eastwick
  • Latton, Essex

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

GILSTONE, a parish, in the union of Ware, hundred of Braughin, county of Hertford, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Harlow; containing 246 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 980 acres, is situated on the river Stort, and the London and Brandon railway passes near the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £10. 3. 4.; net income, £241; patron, the Bishop of London. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ware
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – London
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Braughing, Post-1844 – Bishop’s Stortford
  • Poor Law Union: Ware
  • Hundred: Braughing
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts