Elstree is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.

Alternative names: Idlestree

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1656
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ELSTREE, or Idlestree (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Barnet, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban’s, county of Hertford, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Edgware; containing 360 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 1300 acres. The village stands upon the spot where the Watling-street crosses from Middlesex into Hertfordshire, and is in the four parishes of Aldenham, Edgware, Elstree, and Whitchurch. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £8; net income, £304; patron, the Lord Chancellor. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act passed in 1776 for inclosing Boreham common; the glebe altogether consists of 220 acres, with a house built in 1836. The church, a neat edifice, erected about the time of Queen Elizabeth, is said to have been first built out of the ruins of the ancient city Sulloniacim, the foundations of which are still visible about one mile to the south.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Barnet
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – London
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – St Albans, Post-1844 – Watford
  • Poor Law Union: Barnet
  • Hundred: Cashio
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts