Bygrave is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1765
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BYGRAVE, a parish in Hitchin district, Herts; on the Hitchin and Royston railway, near Icknield-street and Metley Hill, 2¼ miles NE of Baldock. Post Town, Baldock. Acres, 1,809. Real property, £2,392. Pop., 195. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £377. Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BYGRAVE, a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Baldock; containing 154 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1620 acres, about 100 of which are pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 9. 7.; net income, £377; patron, the Marquess of Salisbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hitchin
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
  • Rural Deanery: Baldock
  • Poor Law Union: Hitchin
  • Hundred: Odsey
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts