Buntingford is a chapelry of Layston Ancient Parish in Hertfordshire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUNTINGFORD, a village, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Royston district, Herts. The village stands on the river Rib, at the terminus of a branch railway deflecting from the London and Hertford line at St. Margaret’s, and is 13 miles, by road, N by E of Hertford. It is a decayed old town; consists chiefly of one street; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place; and has a head post-office, a railway station, three places of worship, a grammar school, almshouses, and a workhouse. The grammar school and the almshouses were founded, in the 17th century, by Bishop Seth Ward, who was a native; and have respectively £13 and £99 from endowment; and the former sends four scholars to Christ’s College, Cambridge. The workhouse was built at a cost of £2,658. A weekly market is held on Monday; and fairs on 29 June and 30 Nov. The chapelry includes the village; and is in the four parishes of Layston, Aspeden Throcking, and Wyddiall. Pop., 581. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Layston, in the diocese of Rochester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BUNTINGFORD, a chapelry, and formerly a market-town, in the parishes of Aspeden, Layston, Throcking, and Wyddiall, union of Royston and Buntingford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 12 miles (N. N. E.) from Hertford; containing 581 inhabitants. This place takes its name from a ford on the river Rib, near which a blacksmith, named Bunt or Bunting, had a forge. It is pleasantly situated on a gentle ascent between two hills, and consists of one street, half a mile in length: the houses are in general well built, and of respectable appearance; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. The trade is principally in leather and malt: the fairs, formerly on June 29th and November 30th, and each for four days, are now irregularly held. The county magistrates hold petty-sessions here for the division, and a septennial court leet is held for the hundred. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Layston. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, is a commodious brick building, erected by subscription, in 1626, through the exertions of the Rev. Alexander Strange, vicar of Layston, who lies interred in it: from its convenient situation, it is appropriated to the general use of the parishioners of Layston, the parish church, half a mile distant, being resorted to only for marriages. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Independents. The free grammar school was endowed in 1630, by Eliz. Freeman, with lands producing £10. 10. per annum; which endowment was augmented with a moiety of the produce of land left by Seth Ward, Bishop of Salisbury, to Christ’s College, Cambridge, the other being applied to the endowment in that college of four scholarships, of £12 per annum each, for boys on this foundation. Eight almshouses, for four aged men and four women, were founded in 1668, and endowed with land by Bishop Ward; and the bishop also gave £600 to purchase land, the rental of which is applied to the apprenticing of children: he was a native of the town, and received the rudiments of his education in the grammar school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
England, Hertfordshire, Buntingford – Cemeteries ( 2 )
Monumental inscriptions of the parish churches of St. Bartholomew, Layston & St. Peter, Buntingford
Author: Hertfordshire Family History Society
Monumental inscriptions, Buntingford, Hertford, England : abt. 1600-1900
England, Hertfordshire, Buntingford – Church records ( 2 )
Births, baptisms and burials, 1810-1836
Author: Independent Church (Buntingford, England)
Parish registers for Layston, 1563-1937
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Layston (Hertfordshire)
England, Hertfordshire, Buntingford – Church records – Indexes ( 2 )
Computer printout of Buntingford, Independent, Herts., Eng
Parish register printouts of Buntingford, Hertford, England (Independent) ; christenings, 1810-1836
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
England, Hertfordshire, Buntingford – Public records ( 1 )
Memorandum book, 1607-18th century
Author: Layston (Hertfordshire)
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – London
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Braughing, Post-1844 – Buntingford
- Poor Law Union: Buntingford
- Hundred: Edwinstree
- Province: Canterbury