Brent Pelham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church: Virgin Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1539
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1829

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Furneux Pelham
  • Anstey
  • Clavering, Essex
  • Great Hormead
  • Berden, Essex
  • Meesden
  • Stocking Pelham

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

PELHAM, BRENT (Virgin Mary), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 5¾ miles (E. by N.) from Buntingford; containing 285 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Furneux-Pelham consolidated in 1771, valued in the king’s books at £7. 6. 8.; patron, the Treasurer of St. Paul’s. The great tithes have been commuted for £245, and the vicarial for £120; the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church has a square embattled tower; the chancel is less than it formerly was, the south side having fallen down some years since.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Hertfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
  • Probate Court: Pre-1845 – Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s Cathedral, Post-1844 – Court of the Archdeaconry of St Albans
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Buntingford
  • Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford
  • Hundred: Edwinstree
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts