Bovingdon is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Hertfordshire, created in 1834 from chapelry in Hemel Hempstead Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Latimer, Buckinghamshire
- Hemel Hempstead
- Chesham, Buckinghamshire
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BOVINGDON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Hemel-Hempstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 4 miles (S. W.) from Hemel-Hempstead; containing 1072 inhabitants. This chapelry comprises 3513 acres, of which 110 are common or waste; it contains the villages of Felden and Bourn-End, and is situated near the Grand Junction canal, and the London and Birmingham railway. Straw-platting is extensively carried on by the women and children. The living is a perpetual curacy, constituted in 1834, and endowed with the vicarial tithes; also by the governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty; and by the patron, the Hon. Granville D. Ryder. The impropriate tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, and have been commuted for £710; the vicarial have been commuted for £190, and there are 11 acres of glebe. The chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, and formerly only a chapel of ease, is a very ancient edifice, exhibiting marks of Anglo-Saxon origin. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans in the village, and for Independents in Box Lane.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hemel Hempstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Berkhampstead, Post-1844 – St Albans
- Poor Law Union: Hemel Hampstead
- Hundred: Dacorum
- Province: Canterbury