Benington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hertfordshire.
Alternative names: Bennington
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Watton at Stone
- Great Munden
- Little Munden
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BENNINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Broadwater, union and county of Hertford, 5½ miles (E. S. E.) from Stevenage; containing 605 inhabitants. This place, which is of great antiquity, is said to have been the residence of the kings of Mercia, who had a palace here; and on an intrenched eminence to the west of the church was a castle, of which little more than the site remains. The parish is intersected by the river Bene, and comprises 2900a. 1r. 6p., the soil of which rests principally on chalk; the cottagers are chiefly employed in the making of strawplat. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19, and in the gift of the family of Proctor: the tithes have been commuted for £635, and there are 90 acres of glebe. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hertford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Baldock, Post-1844 – Bennington
- Poor Law Union: Hertford
- Hundred: Broadwater
- Province: Canterbury