Alternative names: Aspeden
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604
Parishes adjacent to Aspenden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASPEDEN, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on the river Rib, 8 miles SE of Baldock r. station. It includes part of the Post Town of Buntingford. Acres, 1,351. Real property, £3,539. Pop., 577. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cliffords, the Freemans, and the Jocelyns; and passed to Earl Hardwicke and the Bolderos. Aspeden Hall and its park are a prominent feature. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £357. Patron, the Countess of Mexborough. The church contains a curious monument to Sir Robert Clifford, master of the ordnance to Henry VIII., and other tombs and brasses; and is in good condition. An endowed school has £17 a year, and other charities £37.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aspenden, 5¼ m. N.N.W. Standon. P. 529.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Rochester, Pre-1845 - Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Baldock, Post-1844 - Bennington
- Poor Law Union: Buntingford
- Hundred: Edwinstree
- Province: Canterbury