Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1686
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Quaker
Parishes adjacent to Ashwell
- Guilden Morden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHWELL, a village and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The village stands at the source of the river Rhee, an affluent of the Cam, 2 miles N of a station of its own name on the Hitchen and Cambridge railway, and 4½ NNE of Baldock. It is thought to have been of Roman origin; it bore anciently the name of Escewell; and it was a seat of the Saxon kings, a borough, and a market-town. It now consists of several scattered streets; and has a post office under Baldock. The parish comprises 3,852 acres. Real property, £7,509. Pop., 1,507. Houses, 293. The manor was given, before the time of Edward the Confessor, to Westminster Abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the see of London. The Roman road, Icknield-street, passes ½ a mile S of the village; and the Roman camp of Arbury occurs there, covers an area of 12 acres, and has yielded Roman coins, and other Roman relics. A small dell adjacent to the village leads up to a steep rocky bank, from the foot of which a number of springs gush out to form the river Rhee. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £513. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is ancient and good: consists of nave, aisle, and chancel; has a tower at the W end, surmounted by a spire 175 feet high; and contains several old slabs, formerly inlaid with brasses. There are Independent, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Quaker chapels, an endowed school with £17 a year, and other charities with £55. Cudworth was vicar till his death in 1688.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashwell, 4 miles N.N.E. Baldock. P. 1235.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Post-1844 - Rochester
- Pre-1845 - Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Baldock
- Poor Law Union: Royston
- Hundred: Odsey
- Province: Canterbury