Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1543
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Anstey
- Brent Pelham
- Great Hormead
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANSTEY, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on Ermine-street, near the river Quin, 3½ miles NE of Buntingford, and 6½ SSE of Royston r. station. Post town, Buntingford. Acres, 2,170. Real property,-£3,194. Pop., 473. Houses, 93. A castle stood here upon a high rouud hill, said to have been erected, soon aftcr the Conquest, by Eustace, Earl of Boulogne; but was demolished, in the time of Henry III., "because it had been a nest of rebels." The moat which surrouuded it, and some works which were added in the time of King John, still remain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £504. Patron, Christ,s College, Cambridge. The church was built out of the materials of the casstle; and is cruciform and of mixed architecture, from Norman to debased. There are a P. Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Anstey, 6¾ m. N. Standon. P. 497.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 - Rochester, Pre-1845 - London
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Braughing, Post-1844 - Buntingford
- Poor Law Union: Buntingford
- Hundred: Edwinstree
- Province: Canterbury