Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
- Weston Beggard
- Stretton Grandison
- Bishop's Frome with Fromes Hill
- Much Cowarne
- Stoke Edith
- West Hide
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
YARKHILL, a parish and a sub-district in Ledbury district, Herefordshire. The parish lies near Stoke-Edith r. station, and 7 miles E by N of Hereford. Post town, Ledbury. Acres, 1,666. Real property, £2,902. Pop., 568. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £230. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of H. The church is tolerable. Charities, £8. The sub-district contains 10 parishes and 3 parts. Acres, 21,079. Pop., 4,585. Houses, 900.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
YARKHILL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 7 ¼ miles (E. by N.) from Hereford; containing 452 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Froome, and consists of 1644 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 19. 3.; net income, £125 ; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford ; impropriator, the Master of Ledbury Hospital.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Yarkhill Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Yarkhill is a parish, 7 miles north-west from Ledbury, and 7 ¼ miles north-east from Hereford, in Radlow Hundred, Ledbury Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The living is a discharged vicarage, value £220 per annum, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the Rev. Thomas H. Bird, M.A., is the vicar. The church, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a plain stone building, including a nave and chancel, with a square castellated tower. A neat and commodious vicarage house, composed of brick, with stone dressings, has been recently erected, 10 ½ acres of land is attached. The little river Frome flows through the parish, and drives a corn-mill in its course. The population, in 1851, was 547, and the acreage 1,666. The parochial charities amount to £7 per annum. The soil is a stiff clay producing abundant crops of wheat, beans, and hops.
Letters though Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.
Bird Rev. T. H., M.A., Vicarage
Lewis John, parish clerk
Lewis John, wheelwright, Grove
Lewis Thomas, agricultural implement maker, Cotts
Smith Wm., New Inn, Newtown
Wargent Thomas, shoemaker
Deem Wm., Little Yarkhill
Hollins Catherine, Green lane
Hall George, Garford
Moore James, Monkbury court
Morris Edward, Middle court
Morris W., Monkhide
Morris John, Monkhide
Pitt John, the Castle
Smith Ann, Grove
Vevers John B., Yarkhill court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Ledbury
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Ledbury