Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Whitney-on-Wye
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1740
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITNEY, a parish, with a village, in the district of Hay and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4¾ miles NE of Hay. It has a post-office under Hereford, and a r. station. Acres, 1,483. Real property, £2,616. Pop., 260. Houses, 53. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to T. Dew, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200. Patron, T. Dew, Esq. The church is good; and there is a Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Whitney Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Whitney is a township and parish, 17 miles west-north-west from Hereford, 9 from Kington, and 4 from Hay, in Huntington Hundred, Hay Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and on the road from Hereford to Hay and Brecon. The church, a stone building about 100 years old, is solid and commodious; has nave, chancel, and tower with five excellent bells, and a stone circular font. The living is a rectory, worth £230 yearly, with residence, and about 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Tomkyns Dew, Esq.; the Rev. Henry Dew, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists. There is a mixed school for 50 children, supported by voluntary subscriptions. The population, in 1851, was 232, and the acreage is 1,483. The soil is rich alluvial on the lower level, the higher parts are clay and Loam; the subsoil is gravelly in the valley; much of the highland is underlaid with rock and marl. Tomkyns Dew, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Tomkyns Dew, Esq., Richard Higgins, Esq., and the New. Spencer Phillips, are chief landowners.
Post office. – Mrs. Mary Ann Roberts, postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at 9 a.m.; despatched at ¼ past 3 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hay.
Carriers to Hereford – Mrs. Mary Crumpton, every Saturday; William Goode, Millhalf, every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
Crumpton Mrs. Mary, carrier
Dew Rev. Henry, Rectory
Dew Tomkyns, Esq., Court
Evans John, tailor
Goode Wm., shopkeeper and carrier, Millhalf
Higgins Richard, Esq., the Wood
Jones John, boot and shoe maker
Lloyd Thomas, blacksmith, Stowe
Mann John, Boat Inn, and farmer
Monkhouse John, Esq., Stowe
Morgan Thomas, carpenter
Price John, miller, Millhalf
Reed Edward Combiune, veterinary surgeon
Roberts Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper and postmistress
Rothers Thomas, saddler
Sneade John, carpenter
Turner John, wheelwright, Millhalf
Wanklyn Thomas, blacksmith, Millhalf
Crump James, Lower house
Monkhouse John, Stowe
Nicholls Samuel, Knapp
Price Richard, Pentwyn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hay
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Hay
- Hundred: Huntington
- Province: Canterbury