Weobley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Nunslands.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Weobly
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1635
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WEOBLY, a decayed town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Herefordshire. The town stands 3¼ miles N of Moorhampton r. station, and 12½ NW of Hereford; had a castle, which Stephen took in 1141 from Queen Maud, which the Welsh captured in 1207, and which is now represented by a grassy mound; sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward I., till disfranchised by the reform act of 1832; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office designated Weobly, Herefordshire, an inn, a fine ancient church, restored in 1866, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar-school with £50 a year, an endowed national school with £10, a workhouse, alms houses, minor charities £12, and fairs on 8 May and 17 Oct. The parish comprises 3,309 acres. Real property, £5,615. Pop., 849. Houses, 167. The manor belonged to the Lacys; and passed to the Verdons, the Devereuxs, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £290. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The sub-district contains 18 parishes, and comprises 28,407 acres. Pop., 5,317. Houses, 1,066. The district includes Dilwyn sub-district, and comprises 48,959 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £4,721. Pop. in 1851, 8,718; in 1861, 9,018. Houses, 1,870. Marriages in 1863, 41; births 270, of which 28 were illegitimate; deaths, 188, of which 54 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 465; births, 2,524; deaths, 1,736. The places of worship, in 1851, were 26 of the Church of England, with 4,961 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 35 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 165 s.; 10 of Primitive Methodists, with 486 s.; 1 of Moravians, with 70 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 90 s. The schools were 18 public day-schools, with 898 scholars; 10 private day-schools, with 129 s.; and 10 Sunday schools, with 908 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Weobley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Weobley