Walterstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1761
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1712
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALTERSTONE, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1½ mile N of Pandy r. station, and 4¾ SW of Abbeydore. Post town, Abergavenny. Acres, 1,241. Real property, £965. Pop., 173. Houses, 37. The property is subdivided. There are two Roman camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £136. Patron, E. Higginson, Esq. The church is tolerable. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Walterstone Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Walterstone is a parish and village, half a mile north from the Pandy railway station, 3 miles south-west from Pontrilas railway station, 15 south-west from Hereford, 4 south from Abbey Dore, in Ewias Lacy Hundred, Abbey Dore Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is stated on the river Monnow, on the borders of Monmouthshire. The church is an old stone building, with small tower, in the early English style, in good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, and two bells. The living is a vicarage, worth £145 yearly; the Rev. Theophilus Morgan, M.A., is the incumbent. There are two camps in the parish, one Norman, the other supposed to be Roman, there is also a circular moat near the church, in the centre of which it is possible there was once a castle, but there are no traces remaining to show that such was the case. The population, in 1851, was 147; the acreage is 1,241. The soil is red clay. The two largest farms, containing together about 470 acres, are held under a lease from Guys Hospital for a long term of years. Allyrunnis, the principal farmhouse in the parish, was formerly the residence of Lord Burleigh, the able minister to Queen Elizabeth, and still retains some of the remains of its ancient grandeur, having the Arms of Burleigh in painted glass in the window.
The Allyrunnis, The Vineyard, Goytree, Rockyfold, The Cwm, and Pentwyn Court, are farms.
Letters through Abergavenny, which is to nearest money order office.
Morgan Rev. Theophilus
Parry John, shoemaker
Pitt George, shopkeeper
Pitt Hebert, wheelwright
Teague Mrs. Mary, beer retailer
Gilbert David, Coedy gravel
Jones David, New buildings
Jones Job, Vineyard
Jones Thomas, Pentwyn
Prosser Mrs., the Cwm
Rogers John, Allyrunnis
Rogers John, Goytree
Smith Aaron, Court
Williams Richard, Rocky fold
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Brecon
Diocese: St David's
Rural Deanery: Brecknock
Poor Law Union: Dore
Hundred: Ewyas Lacey