Wacton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1749 from chapelry in Bromyard Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WACTON, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; 7½ miles E by S of Leominster r. station. Post town, Bromyard, under Worcester. Acres, 1,002. Real property, £1,053. Pop., 123. Houses, 25. The manor belongs to the Earl of Somerset. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £75. Patron, the Bishop of H.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Wacton, a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 3 ½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Bromyard; containing 109 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 970 acres, of which 350 are arable, 552 meadow and pasture, 56 hop plantations, and 12 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron, the Vicar of Bromyard; appropriator, the second Portionist of Bromyard: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £66, and the vicarial for £63. The church is a very ancient edifice, and contains about 50 or 60 sittings.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Wacton Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Wacton is a parish, distant 4 miles west from Bromyard, 8 from Leominster, and 9 south from Tenbury; it is in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, and situated about 1 mile from the Leominster and Tenbury turnpike road. The church is an old stone building, with small tower and two bells; it has nave, aisle, chancel, and porch. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £40 yearly, in the gift of the Vicar of Bromyard; the Rev. John Booth, B.A., is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 129; and the acreage is 1,002. The soil is clayey. Earl Somers is lord of the manor, and Richard Allson, Esq., and Richard Timings, Esq., are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, and oats. Wacton is considered by some to be a chapelry of Bromyard.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Watkins Philip, New Inn, and shopkeeper
Handy Miss Sarah, Wooding
Owens George, Upper Horton
Perkins Samuel, Great Wacton
Ricketts John, Little Wacton
Timings Richard, Wacton court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Bromyard
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Bromyard