Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Upper Sapey
Historical Descriptions of Upper Sapey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAPEY (Upper), a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; 5 miles SE of Newnham r. station, and 6¼ N by E of Bromyard. Post-town, Sapey-Bridge, under Worcester. Acres, 2,190. Real property, £2,453. Pop., 357. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. There are traces of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £258. Patron, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The church was restored in 1860. There are an endowed school with £11 a year, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Sapey, Upper (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 6 ½ miles (NNE) from Bromyard; containing 338 inhabitants, and consisting of 2161 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 5. 7½., and in the gift of Sir T. F. Winnington, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £287. 10., and the glebe comprises 41 acres. A school is endowed with £10 per annum. In the neighbourhood are the remains of a single intrenched Roman camp.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Upper Sapey but who were married in another parish.
Peter Hodnet, p. Oversapie, co. Hereford, b., & Alice Tybbins, d. of Martyne Tybbins, of C. 24 Jan. 1617 at Churchill in Halfshire, Worcestershire
Sapey (Upper) Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Sapey (Upper) is a scattered parish, 6 ½ miles north from Bromyard (its post town), and 8 east from Tenbury, in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on Sapey Brook, and on the Hereford and Stourport turnpike road. The church is an old stone building in the Norman style, with small square tower and two bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, font, and porch. The living is a rectory, worth £258 yearly, with residence and 46 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Thomas Edward Winnington, Bart.; the Rev. Gilbert Sandbach, M.A.., is the incumbent. There is an Endowed School of £10 10s. per annum. The population, in 1851, was 351, and the acreage is 2, 190. The soil is clayey and loamy. Edmund Higginson, Esq., Mrs. Newman, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart., and Rev. Edward Addenbrooke, are the chief landowners. There are charities of £21 yearly value.
Church House, High House, Kintal, Dudshill, Yearstone, Adam’s Wood, Waters, Brook, Crieftains, and Lea, are places here.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Endowed School, Mrs. Maria Bunce, mistress
Amphlett Wm., carpenter, Sapey common
Kitchen John, carpenter
Lane George, blacksmith
Morris George, yeoman, church house
Perkins Peregrine, carpenter
Prattinton Adam, Esq., High house
Sandbach Rev. Gilbert, M.A., Rectory
Travel Richard, shopkeeper, Sapey common
Wood John, blacksmith
Aldridge William, Kintal
Dunderdale John, Dudshill
Holder Thomas, Yearstone
Hooper Edward, Crieftans
Merrick Samuel, Adam’s wood
Pearman John, Lea farm
Waldron Samuel, Waters farm
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Bromyard
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Frome
Poor Law Union: Bromyard