Upper and Lower Bullinghope Herefordshire Family History Guide

Upper and Lower Bullinghope is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1747 from Bullingham chapelry and part of Hereford All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Grafton.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Alternative names:

  • Bullingham
  • Bullinghope
  • Lower Bullingham
  • Lower Bullinghope
  • Over Bullinghope
  • Upper Bullingham
  • Upper and Lower Bullinghope with Grafton

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1682
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BULLINGHAM (Upper), or Bullinghope, a parish in the county and district of Hereford; on the river Wye, 2 miles S of Hereford. Post Town, Hereford. Acres, 698. Real property, £1,361. Pop., 83. Houses, 19. The property is all in one estate The parish is ecclesiastically united with Lower Bullingham and Grafton townships. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is modern.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Bullingham, a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 2 miles (S.) from Hereford; containing 412 inhabitants, of whom 129 are in Upper, and 283 in Lower, Bullingham. This parish comprises 1679 acres by measurement, of which 705 are in Upper, and 974 in Lower, Bullingham; it is bounded on the north by the river Wye, and is intersected by the road from Hereford to Ross. It constitutes the prebend of Over Bullinghope, in the Cathedral of Hereford, valued in the King's books at £17. 18. 1½., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £109; patron, the Prebendary; appropriators, Dean and Chapter. The church was enlarged some years since.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Free

Birth Marriage and Death Records

England, Herefordshire Bishop's Transcripts, 1583-1898

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

England Marriages, 1538–1973

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

 

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Grave Indexes

BillionGraves Index

Find A Grave Index

Migration and Naturalisation Records

Migration Records at FamilySearch

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Census Records

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales National Register, 1939

Probate and Court Records

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

Military Records

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women's Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Directories

Bullingham (Lower) Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Bullingham (Lower), formerly Bullinghope, is a township in the parish of St. Martin’s, Hereford, from which place it is distant 1 ½ miles, and is in the Hundred of Webtree, and Hereford Union, and in the archdeaconry, deanery, and diocese of Hereford. The parish church for this township is situate on the Ross road. There are some good farms situate here. Lower Bullingham is bounded on the north by the river Wye, which adds greatly to the scenery of the place. The population, in 1851, was 310, and the number of acres 1,100.

Letters though Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.

Bullar Valentine, house and estate agent

Cutter Thomas, victualler

Deakin J. E, farmer and land surveyor, Green Cryse

Elleman Samuel, stonemason

Oliver Richard, farmer

Parmiter Philip, farmer, Bullingham court

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Lower Bullingham Herefordshire 1914

Lower Bullingham

Andrews W. J., frmr., Manor farm
Bennett Chas. Richard, Huntless.
Brooks L., farmer, Ridge hill.
Gaines Henry, licensed vict., Wye Hotel.
Hallahan Rev. Daniel (R.C.), Brook house.
Hamilton Hans P., Green Crize nurseries.
Harris Ed., gardener, Post office.
Hewins W. A. S. (M.P.), Manor house.
Jones Percy and Price, farmers, Red Brook farm.
Jones Wm., mason and carpenter, Ridge hill.
Magdalen Sister, St. Vincent's Boys' School.
Magness Wm. J., general smith.
Monica Sister, St. Elizabeth's Girls School.
Poor Clare's (Colettines) Convent.
Price John, farmer, Green Crize farm.
Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, St. Elizabeth house; lady superior, Sister Frances Arundel.
Watkins Morgan, farmer, Watery Lane farm.
Wilson Ernest, The Moorlands.
Williamson Rev. Preb. Hy. Trevor, vicar, Bullinghope.
(Assistant overseer : Hy. Fluck, The Weaven, Little Dewchurch).

Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.

Upper Bullingham Herefordshire 1914

Upper Bullingham

Crosse John, parish clerk.
Cullimore Miss Ellen, Slade gate.
Davies Frank, labr., Slade gate.
Gittins Mrs. Elizth., schoolmistress.
Green James, rly. signalman, Railway cottage.
Griffiths George, labourer.
Handley Mrs. Catherine, Rose cot.
Jones Chas. John, rly. Signalman.
Landon Ed. H., farmer and sec. Herefordshire Hunt Steeplechases, Bullingham court.
Tantrum John.
Williamson Rev. Preb. Hy. Trevor, The Vicarage, Bullinghope
Wrigglesworth Thos. B., rly. Signalman, Railway cottage.

Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Hereford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Upper Bullinghope or Upper Bullingham
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Hereford
  • Poor Law Union: Hereford
  • Hundred: Webtree
  • Province: Canterbury