Status: Ancient Parish
The parishes of Sutton St Michael and Sutton St Nicholas were united in 1876 and St Nicholas became the Parish church.
Alternative names: St Nicholas Sutton
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1763
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Sutton-St. Nicholas, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1 ½ miles SE of Moreton r. station, and 3 ¾ NNE of Hereford. Post-town, Hereford. Acres, 721. Pop., 251. Houses, 47. A well preserved Roman camp is here; and became, in the Saxon times, the site of a royal palace. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £195. Patron, J. Johnston, Esq.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SUTTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the hundred of Broxash, union and county of Hereford, 4¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Hereford; containing 269 inhabitants, and comprising, with the parish of Sutton St. Michael, 1398 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 1. 8.; net income, £195; patron, J. Johnstone, Esq. A school is endowed with £6. 13. per annum, and a house and garden.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weston
Poor Law Union: Hereford