Stoke Bliss is a parish formerly in Herefordshire, but transferred to Worcestershire for civil purposes, under the provisions of Section 54 of the Local Government (England and Wales) Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict. C. 41), by Order of the Local Government Board, May 8, 1897, confirmed by Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 10) Act, 18971
Stoke Bliss parish includes: Little Kyre or Kyre Minor or Kyre Parva.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Stoke Bliss
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stoke-Bliss, 5 miles N. Bromyard. P. 351.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-Bliss, a parish, partly in the hund. of Broxash, and partly in the Upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, counties of Hereford and Worcester; 5½ miles north-north by west of Bromyard. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Kyre. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 16s. 8d.; gross income £383. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £357 14s. 8d. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here is a day and Sunday school. In 1835 hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 110 acres. Acres 2,410. Houses 70. A.P. £704. Pop., in 1801, 187; in 1831, 175. Poor rates, in 1838, £38 8s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STOKE-BLISS, a parish, in the union of Tenbury, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, but chiefly in the hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 6 miles (S. E.) from Tenbury; containing, with the chapelry of Little Kyre, 351 inhabitants, of whom 207 are in Stoke-Bliss township. The parish is situated on the road from Tenbury to Bromyard, and comprises by admeasurement 2077 acres, of which 1071 form the Herefordshire portion. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £360; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe contains 35 acres. The church is in the early English style.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Kyre (Little), a chapelry in the parish of Stoke-Bliss, county of Worcester; 4 miles south-east of Tenbury. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Stoke-Bliss. Acres 1,130. Houses 34. A. P. £765. Pop., in 1801, 126; in 183S, 169. Poor rates, in 1838, £58 17s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Kyre-Minor – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Stoke Bliss, half a mile from the above Kyre-Wyard; containing 25 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 126 – 1811, 120 – 1821, 121.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Kyre Parva Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Kyre Parva, or Little Kyre, situate in the county of Worcestershire, and distant about 5 miles S. from Tenbury, is a small hamlet of the parish of Stoke Bliss, in the county of Hereford, consisting principally of farm houses. The parish church is at Stoke Bliss. It contained in 1851 a population of 151 inhabitants.
Benbow William, wheelwright and carpenter
Bolton Martin, farmer, Little Bannalls
Bruton William, mason
Dorrell Thomas, farmer, The Hall
Hall Joseph, farmer, The Collins
Hyde Mary, farmer, The Grove
Hyde William, farmer, The Grove
Lynas Lawrence, victualler, Cross Keys
Pound Edwin, farmer, The Bannalls
Swann Ephraim, farmer, Hursley
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Kyre Magna and Kyre Parva Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Goode Thomas, farmer
Hill Richard, farmer
Jones Abraham, smith
Patrick Samuel, farmer
Pytts Mrs., gent.
Taylor John, farmer
Benbow H., farmer
Benbow J., shopkeeper
Bevan James, farmer
Bowkett John, farmer
Brazier Thomas, farmer
Griffin John, farmer
Hill Thomas, farmer
Hyde Henry, farmer
Hyde Mary, farmer
Jordon John, farmer
Spilsbury Francis, farmer
Stinton John, farmer
There is a description for Kyre in the Directory as follows: - Kyre Wyre, 3 ½ miles from Tenbury, containing 30 houses, and 165 inhabitants. The hamlet of Kyre Minor adjoins this parish, and is noted for the quantity of Wild Saffron growing therein.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Herefordshire and Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Frome
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Worcestershire: Doddingtree
- Herefordshire: Broxash
- Province: Canterbury
- Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information ↩