Stanford Bishop is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Bromyard (its post town), 14 from Hereford railway, and 10 from Ledbury, in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road from Bromyard to Malvern. The church is an ancient stone building, with small square tower and two bells; it has a nave, aisle, chancel, and porch. The living is a perpetual curacy, commuted at £205 yearly, and 8 acres of glebe land; the Rev. John Booth, B.A., is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 235, and the acreage is 1,471. The soil is clayey and loamy. The Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor; and John Freeman, Esq., John Gardner Freeman, Esq., and the Rev. W. Wall, are the chief landowners. The chief crops are hops, wheat, beans and oats.
Stanford Court, Hyde, Hill Oak, Hawkins, Waltons, Hope House, Lower House, New House, Woolner Hill, Snipe’s Nest, and Boyce, are places here.
Letters through Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office.
Hill James, blacksmith, New house
Mitton James, shopkeeper, Snipe’s nest
Hill James, Hyde
Hill Mrs., Hill Oak
Jenkins John, Woolner hill
Page Richard, Boyce
Page Thomas, Stanford court
Page Wm., Lower House
Philpott James, Hawkins
Tomkins Richard, Hope house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.