Sollers Hope is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1695
Parishes adjacent to Sollers Hope
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SOLLERSHOPE, a parish and a sub-district, in Ross district, Hereford. The parish lies 3½ miles NE of Fawley r. station, and 6 N by E of Ross. Post town, Ross. Acres, 1,152. Real property, £1,325. Pop., 166. Houses, 28. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, annexed to How-Caple. The church is good; and there is a free school. The sub-district contains six parishes and a part. Acres, 18,509. Pop., 3,641. Houses, 714.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HOPE, SOLLERS (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Ross; containing 161 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Ross and Hereford, and comprises 1152a. 2r. 16p., of which about 524 acres are arable, 464 pasture, and 98 woodland: there are many orchards for the growth of apples for cider. The parish is intersected by the road between Gloucester and Newent. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that of How-Caple, and valued in the king's books at £4. 3. 4.: the tithes have been commuted for £146, and the glebe comprises 67 acres. The church is an ancient structure.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Soller’s Hope Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Soller’s Hope is a parish, situate 6 miles from Ross, and 2 ½ from Fawley railway station, in the Hundred of Greytree, Ross Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and diocese. The church is a plain old stone building, with square tower containing three bells. The living is a rectory; the Rev. John Norgrave Baker, M.A., who resides at How Capel, is the rector. There is a Free School for boys and girls, and a school for children supported by subscriptions. The population, in 1851, was 147; acreage, 1,152. The soil is clayey and loamy, and the subsoil is limestone rock. Mrs. Ann Gregory Coleman, and Mrs. Catherine Holt are ladies of the manor. There are charities to the amount of £1 10s. annually.
Harstans, Rock, Whittlebury, Foxholes, Falcon, Lindalls, Grey Hill, Rugden, and Court, are farms.
Letters though Ross, which is the nearest money order office.
Brown John, farmer, Lindalls and Grey hill
Brown John, farmer, Whittlebury
Halford Charles, carpenter and wheelwright
Hartland Wm., farmer, Rock farm and Foxholes farm
Jones Wm., shoemaker and parish clerk
Mailes Andrew, butcher and farmer
Matthews Richard, farmer, Falcon
Matthews Wm., farmer, Rugden
Paine Edward, farmer, the Falcon
Slade Solomon, farmer, Harstans
Till Joseph, farmer, Court
Wilson Mrs. Elizabeth, day school
Wilson Wm., farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ross
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Greytree
- Province: Canterbury