Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
[su_gmap address="Shobdon Herefordshire" zoom="11"]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHOBDON, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Hereford; 2¼ miles NNW of Pembridge r. station, and 7 WNW of Leominster. It has a post-office, designated Shobdon, Herefordshire. Acres, 3,337. Real property, £4,183. Pop., 503. Houses, 107. The man or, with S. Court, belongs to Lord Bateman. Traces of a Roman or a Danish fort are at Castle hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £764. Patron, Lord Bateman. The church was partly rebuilt in 1758. A priory anciently stood near it, and was removed to Eye. There are a parochial school, and charities £38.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Shobdon (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 5 ½ miles (ESE) from Presteign; containing 491 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road between Ludlow and Kington, and comprises 3491 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 7. 11.; net income, £764; patron, Lord Bateman. The church, which is the burial-place of the Bateman family, was partially rebuilt in 1757, by John, Viscount Bateman. A school is supported by Lady Bateman; and the rent of several acres of land, and the proceeds of some minor benefactions, are distributed among the poor. Near the church is a mount called Castle Hill, encompassed with a moat, supposed to be the remains of a Roman or Danish fortification.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.