Sellack is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. King's Caple is a chapelry of Sellack.
Parish church: St. Tesiliah
Parish registers begin: 1566
Parishes adjacent to Sellack
- King's Caple
- Fownhope with Fawley
- Brampton Abbotts
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Sellack, a parish, with a village, in Ross district, Hereford; on the river Wye, 2 miles SW of Fawley r. station, and 3 ½ NW by N of Ross. Post-town, Ross. Acres, 1,540. Rated property, £2,879. Pop., 345. Houses, 79. The living is a vicarage, united with Kings-Caple, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £420. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of H. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are a parochial school, and charities £23.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Sellack (St. Tesiliah), a parish, in the union of Ross, Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford, 4 ¼ miles (NW) from Ross; containing 335 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1565 acres, of which 40 are common or wasteland; the scenery is diversified, and the village lies in a deep valley watered by the navigable river Wye. The living is a vicarage, with that of King’s-Capel annexed, valued in the king’s books at £16. 6. 8. ; net income, £420; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The great tithes have been commuted for £320, and the vicarial for £140; Here is a glebe of 95 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure with a spire, and is beautifully situated on the bank of the Wye. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury