Rochford is a small parish, situated about 2 miles E.S.E. from Tenbury, and till October, 1844, was part of the county of Hereford.
- Chapelry until 1843
- Ecclesiastical Parish (created: 1843)
- Civil Parish (after 1866)
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin: 1561
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Rochford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROCHFORD, a parish, with a village, in Tenbury district, Worcester; on the river Teme, 2¾ miles E of Tenbury r. station. It has a post-office under Tenbury. Acres, 1,379. Real property, £2,150. Pop., 315. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £400. Patron, J. P. Jones, Esq. The church is Norman, and was restored and enlarged in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Rochford Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Rochford is a small parish, situated about 2 miles E.S.E. from Tenbury, and till October, 1844, was part of the county of Hereford. It contained in 1851 a population of 251 inhabitants.
The Church, situated on the banks of the Teme, is a small, ancient edifice, containing nave, chancel, western spire, and south porch. The only architectural features worth notice are the arch entrance to the chancel, which is great substance, and of the late Saxon or early Norman style, and the arch of the south porch, which is of about the same period. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Charles Severne, Esq. Rev. William Severne, M.A., Rector; Mr. James Rawlings, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
Charities – John Turner, of Hampton Court, in the county of Middlesex, in 1753 bequeathed to the poor of this parish not receiving relief, the sum of £100; he also bequeathed the sum of £100 to the parish of Tenbury, which moneys were invested in the purchase of a rent-charge of £3 10s annually to each parish, on the estate of the late Henry Hyde, situate in the parishes of Rochford and Eastham. Mr. Philip Morres, late of this parish, left to the poor of Rochford the sum of £100, to be disposed of as his brother and executor, the Rev. John Morres, should think fit, who purchased therewith £164 3s 10d Three per Cent Consols, now producing £4 18s 6d, which is distributed to the industrious and religious poor of this parish annually, at Christmas.
Giles Mrs. Ann, Richford Cottage
Lambert Mr. William, the Mount
Severne Rev. William, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Adams George, farmer, The Court
Amphlett John, farmer, Old Hall
Banks Benjamin, shoe maker
Bowen Thomas, blacksmith
Cooke Thomas, farmer, Bank Farm
Cooke William, farmer, Hill Top
Counley Martha, shopkeeper
Dipper Thomas, farmer, Heathy Leasow
Downton John, mason
Farmer William, shopkeeper
Hay William, farmer, Birchfield
Haywood John, farrier, Cold Green
Haywood Edward, blacksmith
Haywood George, tailor
Lloyd Ann, farmer
Moore William, farmer, Lower House
Rawlings James, Parish Clerk
Simmonds Ann, milliner and dress maker
Simmonds Francis, carpenter
Smith Samuel, farmer
Spencer Edward, wheelwright and carpenter
Post Office – Mr. George Haywood, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 2 15 p.m.; despatch, 2 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tenbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Burford
- Poor Law Union: Tenbury
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury