Putley Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941

Putley is a parish 3 miles south from Ashperton station on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 5 miles west from Ledbury, in the Hereford division of the county, Greytree hundred, Ledbury rural district, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church (name unknown) is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a western turret with oak shingled spire, supported an four posts inside the church and containing 3 bells: the pulpit and low chancel screen were made from a 17th century oak pew belonging to Putley Court: the windows, which are all stained, were presented by the late John Riley esq. of Putley Court: the church was restored in 1876: a reredos has since been added, also a vestry erected on the south side, at the expense of the late John Riley esq.: in the churchyard is an ancient stone cross, with carvings of the Crucifixion, the Virgin and Child, St. Andrew, and an archbishop. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £300, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of L. Riley esq. and held since 1939 by the Rev. Clifton Bailey Underwood. There are charities to the amount of £4 5s. yearly, arising from rent of land and interest on Consols. Norman H. Todd esq. of Putley Court, a handsome mansion built in 1712, is lord of the manor: in excavating near Putley Court in 1878, the workmen found fragments of the ruins of Roman buildings, including a quantity of tiles. The Brainge, the residence of Miss Rostron, built in 1703, contains a fine panelled room and staircase. The ownership of the land is divided. The soil is heavy, but very productive; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are fruit, beans and roots. The area is 1,110 acres, the population in 1931 was 221 in the civil, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 164.

Post Office. Letters through Ledbury, Herefordshire. Trumpet nearest M. O.& T. office.

Private Residents

(For TN’s see general list of Private Resident’s at end of book).

Adams Mrs. Aylhill

Combe Capt. R. E., M.C. The Slad

Hartland Jas. Edgar, Twynings

Heath A. F.

Morris Mrs. A. E. Hatsford house

Riley Lancelot J. C. The Twerne

Rostron Miss, The Brainge

Todd Norman H. Putley Court

Underwood Rev. Clifton Bailey (rector), Rectory

Commercial

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Cox Ernest, shopkpr. & post office. Trumpet 24

Dolling Sydney Harold, farmer, Lacons

Durbin Albt. Edwd. Frmr. Coldmoor

Eaton Thomas, farmer, Newtons

Fortnam Wltr. fruit grower, Fosbury

Gladwin Wm. farmer, Abbots pl

Gwilliam A. Llewellyn, fruit grower, Hill Field

Harries Gertrude (Mrs.), costumier

Heath & Combe, fruit growers, The Slad farm

Maund Albt. Grocer, The Stores. Trumpet 32

Pardoe Wilfred Arth. farmer, Rough wd

Pindar Regnld. Jas. farmer, Lower ct

  • Powell Philip, farmer, Hatsford farm

Roberts & Son, fruit grwrs. Upper ho

Taylor Norman, fruit grower, Orchard croft

Tooby Bros. farmers & hop growers, New ho

Wilkins Harris, farmer, Hazle farm (letters Tarrington)

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information