Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Putley, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; 1¾ mile S by W of Ashperton r. station, and 4¼ W of Ledbury. Post-town, Ledbury. Acres, 589. Real property, £1,113. Pop., 197. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to Major Stock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £118. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PUTLEY, a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 5 miles (W.) from Ledbury; containing 158 inhabitants. The parish is situated to the south of the road from Ledbury to Hereford; and comprises by measurement 589 acres, of which 224 are arable, 300 pasture, 13 wood, 24 glebe, 10 waste, and 18 road. The soil is clay, the surface undulated, and a hard clay-stone is quarried for the repair of roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 18. 4., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford: the tithes have been commuted for £110, and there are 20 acres of glebe. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Putley Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941
Putley is a parish 3 miles south from Ashperton station on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway and 5 miles west from Ledbury, in the Hereford division of the county, Greytree hundred, Ledbury rural district, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church (name unknown) is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a western turret with oak shingled spire, supported an four posts inside the church and containing 3 bells: the pulpit and low chancel screen were made from a 17th century oak pew belonging to Putley Court: the windows, which are all stained, were presented by the late John Riley esq. of Putley Court: the church was restored in 1876: a reredos has since been added, also a vestry erected on the south side, at the expense of the late John Riley esq.: in the churchyard is an ancient stone cross, with carvings of the Crucifixion, the Virgin and Child, St. Andrew, and an archbishop. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £300, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of L. Riley esq. and held since 1939 by the Rev. Clifton Bailey Underwood. There are charities to the amount of £4 5s. yearly, arising from rent of land and interest on Consols. Norman H. Todd esq. of Putley Court, a handsome mansion built in 1712, is lord of the manor: in excavating near Putley Court in 1878, the workmen found fragments of the ruins of Roman buildings, including a quantity of tiles. The Brainge, the residence of Miss Rostron, built in 1703, contains a fine panelled room and staircase. The ownership of the land is divided. The soil is heavy, but very productive; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are fruit, beans and roots. The area is 1,110 acres, the population in 1931 was 221 in the civil, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 164.
Post Office. Letters through Ledbury, Herefordshire. Trumpet nearest M. O.& T. office.
(For TN’s see general list of Private Resident’s at end of book).
Adams Mrs. Aylhill
Combe Capt. R. E., M.C. The Slad
Hartland Jas. Edgar, Twynings
Heath A. F.
Morris Mrs. A. E. Hatsford house
Riley Lancelot J. C. The Twerne
Rostron Miss, The Brainge
Todd Norman H. Putley Court
Underwood Rev. Clifton Bailey (rector), Rectory
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Cox Ernest, shopkpr. & post office. Trumpet 24
Dolling Sydney Harold, farmer, Lacons
Durbin Albt. Edwd. Frmr. Coldmoor
Eaton Thomas, farmer, Newtons
Fortnam Wltr. fruit grower, Fosbury
Gladwin Wm. farmer, Abbots pl
Gwilliam A. Llewellyn, fruit grower, Hill Field
Harries Gertrude (Mrs.), costumier
Heath & Combe, fruit growers, The Slad farm
Maund Albt. Grocer, The Stores. Trumpet 32
Pardoe Wilfred Arth. farmer, Rough wd
Pindar Regnld. Jas. farmer, Lower ct
- Powell Philip, farmer, Hatsford farm
Roberts & Son, fruit grwrs. Upper ho
Taylor Norman, fruit grower, Orchard croft
Tooby Bros. farmers & hop growers, New ho
Wilkins Harris, farmer, Hazle farm (letters Tarrington)
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ledbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Ledbury
- Hundred: Greytree
- Province: Canterbury