Presteigne is an Ancient Parish partly in Herefordshire and partly in Radnorshire.
Alternative names: Presteign, Llan-Andras
Other places in the parish include: Lower Kinsham, Nash, Lower Hampton, Litton and Cascob, Little Brampton, Willey, Combe, Rodd, Rodd, Nash and Little Brampton, Stapleton, and Discoed.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Chapel of Ease: Discoed
Parish registers begin: 1561
The parish comprises the wards of Hereford and Broad Street, and High and St. David’s Street, besides the chapelry of Discoed.
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Presteign, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of Wales, the county town of Radnorshire, situated on the Lug, 12 miles N.W. from Leominster. It forms part of the Radnor district of boroughs. The town contains a handsome parish church, several chapels for nonconformists, a new market-house, built in 1866, a county-hall, gaol, and free grammar-school. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. 174 3. The nearest railway station is Knighton, on the Knighton, Central Wales, and Llanelly line of the London and North-Western and Llanelly Railway, from which it is distant about 6 miles. Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Presteigne, co. Radnor, S. W. London 151 m. Pop. 1941. Fairs, Jane 25 and Dec. 11. M. D. Sat.
A market-town and parish in the hundred of Radnor, a small portion extending into the neighbouring county of Hereford. It is most agreeably situated in a fertile country, on the banks of the river Lug, and is the handsomest and best-built town in the county. The church is an architectural structure, well placed in a spacious cemetery, planted with trees and disposed into broad gravel-walks. There is a chapel of ease at Dyscoed; and the town-hall, free-school, and head inn, may be added to the list of public buildings. At the north end of the town is a circular mound, called Wardon, laid out in public walks, and having a bowling-green and pavilion upon its summit: the expense of ornamenting this place of recreation was defrayed by the Earl of Oxford. Presteigne was formerly a contributory borough, but the electors having once refused to subscribe towards the expenses of their representative, forfeited their elective franchise. The parish comprises the wards of Hereford and Broad Street, and High and St. David’s Street, besides the chapelry of Dyscoed. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford; valued in K. B. at 20l., but of the estimated annual worth of 1000l.; patron, the Earl of Oxford. There is but little trade in this town. Here, however, the assizes for the county, quarter-sessions, and county meetings, &c. are held. The freeschool was founded in the reign of Elizabeth, and endowed liberally by John Beddoes, an eminent clothier, then residing in Presteigne. Near the town is a place named “The King’s Turning,” the explanation of which epithet is thus given in a memorandum in the parish register: “In the time of Oliver Cromwell, Nicholas Taylor, Esq., lived at Lower Heath, in this parish; and when King Charles I. fled before Oliver Cromwell, then in the neighbourhood of Hereford, he dined and slept at the Unicorn Inn, in Leominster, the first day, and the next two nights he slept at Mr. Taylor’s (a short distance from ‘The King’s Turning): from thence he rode over the hills to Newtown, and so on to Chester.” The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the Parish is also called Llan-Andras. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Cas-Cob, 4 miles N.W. Presteigne. P. 171. Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Coombe, included in Presteign par. Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Dyscoyd, 2½ m. W. N. W. Presteigne. P. included therein Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Nash, a hamlet in Rodd, Nash, and Little Brampton township, Presteigne parish, Hereford; 1 mile S of Presteigne. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Stapleton is a township in Presteigne parish (Radnorshire), on the road from Ludlow to Presteigne and on the Radnorshire border, about 14 miles west from Leominster and 1 ½ from Presteigne terminal station on the Leominster and Kington branch of the Great Western railway, in the Leominster division of the county, Kington division of Huntington hundred, Kington petty sessional division and rural district and Presteigne county court district. The inhabitants attend the church at Presteigne, of which ecclesiastical parish Stapleton forms a part. Here are the ruins of Stapleton Castle. The Presteigne cemetery is also in this parish. Electricity in available. Rain water is supplied by the Presteigne Water Co. Sir John Stanhope Arkwright D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor, Alexander Mills Wilson, esq., J.P., Mr. David Morris Hughes and Mr. Howard Owens are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,336 acres of land and 8 of water; population in 1931, 139. Read More about Stapleton from Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941