Presteigne is an Ancient Parish partly in Herefordshire and partly in Radnorshire.

Alternative names: Presteign, Llan-Andras

Other places in the parish include: Lower Kinsham, Nash, Lower Hampton, Litton and Cascob, Little Brampton, Willey, Combe, Rodd, Rodd, Nash and Little Brampton, Stapleton, and Discoed.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Chapel of Ease: Discoed

Parish registers begin: 1561

The parish comprises the wards of Hereford and Broad Street, and High and St. David’s Street, besides the chapelry of Discoed.

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Presteigne

Historical Descriptions



Presteign, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of Wales, the county town of Radnorshire, situated on the Lug, 12 miles N.W. from Leominster. It forms part of the Radnor district of boroughs. The town contains a handsome parish church, several chapels for nonconformists, a new market-house, built in 1866, a county-hall, gaol, and free grammar-school. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. 174 3. The nearest railway station is Knighton, on the Knighton, Central Wales, and Llanelly line of the London and North-Western and Llanelly Railway, from which it is distant about 6 miles.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PRESTEIGNE, a town in Radnorshire, and a parish, a sub-district, and a district, partly also in Herefordshire, but all registrationally in Radnorshire. The town stands on the river Lugg, at the terminus of the Lugg Valley railway, 6½ miles E N E of New Radnor; connects with Herefordshire by a three-arched bridge over the Lugg; is known to the Welsh as Llanandras; is a borough by prescription, and practically the capital of Radnorshire; unites with New Radnor, Knighton, Rhayader, Knucklas, and Cefnllys in sending a member to parliament; is a seat of assizes, sessions, and county courts, and a polling-place; had formerly a castle, on an elevated spot, called the Warden; consists chiefly of two good streets, with pleasant outskirts and environs; and has a head post-office, designated Presteigne, Radnorshire, a banking office, a hotel, a town hall, a shire-hall built in 1829, a county jail, a church, two dissenting chapels, a grammar school, and charities £174. The railway goes to the Central Wales line at Llangunllo, was authorized in 1865, and is 10¾ miles long. The Warden, where the castle stood, is to the W of the town; commands very fine views; and is disposed in pleasant walks. The county jail was built in 1820, and has capacity for 24 male and 5 female prisoners. The church is later English, large, and good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains some interesting tapestry, a good brass, and several monuments. The grammar school was founded in the time of Elizabeth, and has £139 a year from endowment. A weekly market is held on Saturday; fairs are held on the Saturday before 13 Feb., 9 May, 20 June, 12 and 13 Oct., and 11 Dec.; and some trade is carried on in malt and timber. The town consists of two wards, comprising jointly 2,831 acres; but the borough includes also Discoed township in Radnorshire, and part of Stapleton township in Herefordshire. Real property of the town, £6,704. Pop., 1,603. Houses, 349. Pop. of the borough, 1,743. Houses, 378.

The parish contains the town of P., the township of Discoed, and part of the township of Litton and Cascob in Radnorshire, and the townships of Stapleton, Willey, Combe, Lower Kinsham, and Rodd, Nash, and Little Brampton in Herefordshire. Acres, 11,126. Pop. in 1851, 2,207; in 1861, 2,383. Houses, 511. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Oxford. Bowltibrook is the seat of Sir H. Brydges, Bart.; and Evenjobb, of the Harley family. Nash Scar is a bold rock of Upper Silurian limestone, altered by plutonian heat into a sub-crystalline mass; and a stalactitic cave was discovered within it in 1833. Offa’s dyke traverses the W; and Wapley-Hill camp, formed by the Romans, and occupied by Caractacus, is in the S E. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Discoed, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £1,380. Patron, Lady Langdale. Lucas the theologian was a native. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Pilleth, Whitton, Norton, and part of Cascob in Radnorshire, and the parishes of Upper Kinsham, Byton, and Lingen in Herefordshire. Acres, 25,534. Pop., 3,741. Houses, 777. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Brilley, containing the parishes of Newchurch and Michaelchurch-on-Arrow in Radnor, and the parishes of Brilley, Huntington, Eardisley, Willersley, and Winforton in Hereford; the sub-district of Kington, containing the parishes of Kington, Lyonshall, Pembridge, Stanton-upon-Arrow, and Titley, all in Hereford; and the sub-district of Radnor, containing the parishes of Glascomb, Colva, Gladestry, Llanfihangel-nant-Mellan, Llandegley, New Radnor, and Old Radnor, all, except one township of the last, in Radnorshire. Acres, 104,963. Poor-rates in 1863, £8,476. Pop. in 1851, 15,149; in 1861, 15,671. Houses, 3,211. Marriages in 1863, 127; births, 523, of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 357, of which 117 were at ages under 5 years, and 18 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,091; births, 4,576; deaths, 2,917. The places of worship, in 1851, were 33 of the Church of England, with 6,894 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 642 s.; 5 of Baptists, with1, 357 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 20 s.; 8 of Wesleyans, with 1,090 s.; 14 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,045 s.; and 7 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 848 s. The schools were 20 public day-schools, with 865 scholars; 24 private day-schools, with 441 s.; 26 Sunday schools, with 1,205s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 9 s. The work-house is in Kington; and, at the census of 1861, had 74 inmates.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].


Presteigne, co. Radnor, S. W.
London 151 m. Pop. 1941. Fairs, Jane 25 and Dec. 11. M. D. Sat.

A market-town and parish in the hundred of Radnor, a small portion extending into the neighbouring county of Hereford. It is most agreeably situated in a fertile country, on the banks of the river Lug, and is the handsomest and best-built town in the county. The church is an architectural structure, well placed in a spacious cemetery, planted with trees and disposed into broad gravel-walks. There is a chapel of ease at Dyscoed; and the town-hall, free-school, and head inn, may be added to the list of public buildings. At the north end of the town is a circular mound, called Wardon, laid out in public walks, and having a bowling-green and pavilion upon its summit: the expense of ornamenting this place of recreation was defrayed by the Earl of Oxford. Presteigne was formerly a contributory borough, but the electors having once refused to subscribe towards the expenses of their representative, forfeited their elective franchise. The parish comprises the wards of Hereford and Broad Street, and High and St. David’s Street, besides the chapelry of Dyscoed. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford; valued in K. B. at 20l., but of the estimated annual worth of 1000l.; patron, the Earl of Oxford. There is but little trade in this town. Here, however, the assizes for the county, quarter-sessions, and county meetings, &c. are held. The freeschool was founded in the reign of Elizabeth, and endowed liberally by John Beddoes, an eminent clothier, then residing in Presteigne. Near the town is a place named “The King’s Turning,” the explanation of which epithet is thus given in a memorandum in the parish register: “In the time of Oliver Cromwell, Nicholas Taylor, Esq., lived at Lower Heath, in this parish; and when King Charles I. fled before Oliver Cromwell, then in the neighbourhood of Hereford, he dined and slept at the Unicorn Inn, in Leominster, the first day, and the next two nights he slept at Mr. Taylor’s (a short distance from ‘The King’s Turning): from thence he rode over the hills to Newtown, and so on to Chester.” The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the Parish is also called Llan-Andras.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.



Cas-Cob, 4 miles N.W. Presteigne. P. 171.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850



Coombe, included in Presteign par.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.



Dyscoyd, 2½ m. W. N. W. Presteigne. P. included therein

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.



Nash, a hamlet in Rodd, Nash, and Little Brampton township, Presteigne parish, Hereford; 1 mile S of Presteigne.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].



STAPLETON, a township in Presteigne parish, Hereford; 1½ mile NE of Presteigne. Acres, 1,252. Real property, £1,741. Pop., 159. Houses, 37.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].


Brampton (Little) Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Brampton (Little) is a township, distant 5 miles north from Kington, and 3 from Presteign, Radnorshire, to which latter parish it belongs. Sir Harford J. Jones Bridges, Bart., and David James, Esq., are the chief landowners.

Letters through Kington, which is also the nearest money order office.

Hamar Mrs. Elizabeth

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Stapleton Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941

Stapleton is a township in Presteigne parish (Radnorshire), on the road from Ludlow to Presteigne and on the Radnorshire border, about 14 miles west from Leominster and 1 ½ from Presteigne terminal station on the Leominster and Kington branch of the Great Western railway, in the Leominster division of the county, Kington division of Huntington hundred, Kington petty sessional division and rural district and Presteigne county court district. The inhabitants attend the church at Presteigne, of which ecclesiastical parish Stapleton forms a part. Here are the ruins of Stapleton Castle. The Presteigne cemetery is also in this parish. Electricity in available. Rain water is supplied by the Presteigne Water Co. Sir John Stanhope Arkwright D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor, Alexander Mills Wilson, esq., J.P., Mr. David Morris Hughes and Mr. Howard Owens are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,336 acres of land and 8 of water; population in 1931, 139.

Letters through Presteigne, Radnor, nearest M. O. & T. office.

Private Residents

(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Barratt Capt. G. A., R.N. (ret.), J.P. (Radnorshire), Bryan’s Ground
Davies David Wm. Stapleton house
Dyke John, Castle cottage
Griffiths Miss, Stapleton cottage
Mackintosh James, The Cottage (postal address, Presteigne, Radnor)
Poole – , Glenview
Stubington H. Little Bryan’s Ground
Tapp Lt.-Col. James Hanson William D.S.O., R. A. Stapleton lodge
Wilson Alex. Mills J.P. Middlemoor


Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Beaumont F. farmer, The Whym
Dyke John, farmer, Brook house
* Hughes David Morris, farmer, Stapleton Castle
* Owens Howard, frmr. The Up. Moor

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free


  • County: Herefordshire and Radnorshire
  • Civil Registration District: Presteigne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Weobley
  • Poor Law Union: Presteigne
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts