Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Pipe, Pipe cum Lyde
Other places included in the parish: Lyde
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Pipe-cum-Lyde, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1 ½ mile SSW of Moreton r. station, and 3 N of Hereford. Post-town, Hereford. Acres, 1,620. Real property, £2,108. Pop., 205. Houses, 42. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £260. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is modern, and has a tower with wooden spire. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PIPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 3 miles (N.) from Hereford; containing, with Lyde, 141 inhabitants. It comprises 1620a. 1r. 21p., of which 21 acres are roads; and is intersected by the road from Hereford to Shrewsbury. Stone is quarried for building and other purposes. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 3. 1½.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford: the great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £140; the appropriate glebe comprises 42 acres. The church, which stands in nearly the centre of the parish, is supposed to have been erected prior to 1558. Four almshouses were built in 1830.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Hereford
Poor Law Union: Hereford