Peterchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1711
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PETERCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford, The village stands on the river Dore, 6½ miles SSW of Moorhampton r. station, and 11 W by S of Hereford; and has a post-office under Hereford. The parish comprises 5,089 acres. Real property, £5,925. Pop., 710. Houses, 159. Urishay Castle is the seat of T. Delahay, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £327. Patron, J. Bull, Esq. The church is Norman; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains numerous monumental remains. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50 a year, alms-houses, and other charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PETER-CHURCH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 11½ miles (W.) from Hereford; containing 745 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Dore, and comprises 7000 acres, part arable, part pasture, and 100 acres woodland: the soil is various, principally a rich loam, partly a stiff clay, and a little gravelly; the chief produce is wheat and oats. The village, which lies in the
golden valley, is surrounded by lofty hills and woods. There are several good stone-quarries. A wool-fair is held at Midsummer. Urishay Castle, here, belonging to the Delahay family, one of the most ancient families in the county, is much dilapidated, but retains some features of feudal times; its chapel and other portions remain, and its moat and drawbridge are not entirely extinct. Snodhill or Snowdle Park is also in the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £327; patrons, the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, London; impropriator, W. Built, Esq.: there are two acres of glebe. The church is partly in the Norman style. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and also two schools, one of which is endowed with £50 per annum, from funds bequeathed by Edward Goff in the year 1813. A spring in the parish, called St. Peter’s Well, is supposed to have great virtue in curing diseases of the eye.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Peterchurch Through Time
Civil Registration District: Hereford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Dore