Orleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Comberton.
Parish registers begin: 1565
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Orleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORLETON, a village and a parish in Leominster district, Hereford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Teme, ¾ of a mile W of the Leominster canal and the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1½ SW by S of Woofferton-Junction r. station and of the boundary with Salop, and 5 S by W of Ludlow; is one of the oldest villages in the county; presents a very antiquated appearance, with houses mostly constructed of timber; was a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Ludlow, and a large cattle fair on 24 April. The parish contains also the hamlet of Comberton, and comprises 2,603 acres. Real property, £4,420. Pop., 600. Houses, 133. Most of the property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Mortimers; passed, through various hands, to Blount, the antiquary; and belongs now to W. Blount, Esq. Orleton Court, an ancient building, is the chief residence; and is said to have sheltered Charles II., after the battle of Worcester. There is a landslip, called the Churn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £156. Patrons, the Governors of Lucton School. The church is variously Norman, early English, and of later dates; presents a very plain and simple appearance; comprises nave, small chancel, and tiny porch; contains monuments of the Blounts; and was finely restored prior to 1868. Agreatly decayed ancient cross is in the-churchyard. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £6. Bishop Adam de Orleton was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Orleton, 5 m. W. Tenbury. P. 603.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ORLETON, a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Ludlow; containing 603 inhabitants. It comprises 2497 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The Leominster canal and the road from Ludlow to Leominster pass through. There are courts leet and baron in March and October. A large fair for cattle is held on the 23rd and 24th of April. The living is a vicarage; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Lucton school: the great tithes have been commuted for £145. 14., and the vicarial for £129. 9.; the glebe comprises about one acre, with a house. The church is ancient, has a shingled spire, and contains a curious font. Blount, the antiquary, was a native of the parish, and lies buried in the chancel of the church.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Leominster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Leominster
- Hundred: Wolphy
- Province: Canterbury