Much Cowarne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Cowarne (Much), 4 miles S. Bromyard. P. 557
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Cowarne Magna, or Much Cowarne, is an extensive parish, 6 miles south from Bromyard, 9 north from Hereford, 10 north-east from Ledbury, 10 west from Malvern, and 16 west-by-north-west from Worcester; it is in Broxash Hundred, Bromyard Union, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is skirted on the north by the turnpike road leading from Bromyard to Hereford, and commands some picturesque views. The church of St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, in the Saxon style of architecture; was partly destroyed by lightening in the year 1840, the spire having been completely destroyed, and a tower since erected in its place, in which are placed three bells; the interior consists of a nave, aisle, porch, chancel, and three ancient monuments, one of a warrior of the time of the Crusades. The living is a vicarage, worth £270 yearly, with residence and three acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester. There is a Dame’s school for boys and girls, and also a Sunday school. The parish consists of some extensive farms, with some excellent houses attached. The population, in 1851, was 542, and the acreage is 3,535. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil is red marl. Colonel Wyndham is lord of the manor; and Colonel Wyndham, and Lord Bateman, of Shobdon Court, are chief landowners. The land is productive, and yields wheat, beans, hops, apples, pears, &c.
Post Office. – John Palmer, postmaster. Letters arrive from Bromyard at 11 a.m., and are despatched thereto at 20 minutes past 9 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bromyard.
Carrier to Hereford – Chas. Derry, Burley gate, Wednesday and Saturday.
Burgoyne Geo., beer retailer, Collomarch
Derry Charles, carrier, Burley gate
Hemmings Richard, carpenter
Hill George, shopkeeper, Hope’s rough
Lewis Richard, blacksmith
Monk Rev. E. G., Vicarage
Wagstaff James, Five Bridges Inn
Baker James, Much Cowarne court
Ballard Philip, Leighton court
Brown Robert, Hope’s rough
Daniel John, Moorend
Davies Thomas, Lower Batch
Edwards John, Upper Batch
Gardiner James, Lower Hopton
Harrington William, Lower Moorend
Hill William, Red Witchend
Meredith Richard, Bridgend
Orgee Samuel, Middle Moorend
Orgee William, Bridgend
Palmer John, the Elms
Paniers John, Bridgend
Perry John, Paunsfort court
Pudge Thomas, Hillend
Pudge William, Mill
Sirrell Thomas, Chamberlain
Sirrell Thomas, junr., Richley
Smith John, Tanhouse
Tyler Thomas, Hutt
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.