Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Monnington upon Wye
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1684
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MONNINGTON-UPON-WYE, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on the river Wye, 3 miles SSW of Moorhampton r. station, and 5¾ SSW of Weobly. Post-town, Bishopstone, under Hereford. Acres, 1,011. Real property, £1,355. Pop., 102. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to a son-in-law of Owen Glendower, and belongs now to Sir V. Cornewall, Bart. Monnington Court is supposed to have been the death-place of Owen Glendower, and is now a farm-house. There is a long avenue called Monnington Walk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £205. Patron, Sir V. Cornewall, Bart. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Monnington Herefordshire 1914
Inns Jas., farmer, The Court.
Pantall Wm., sen., farmer, Monnington house.
Woodroffe Rev. J. N. b., Rectory.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Civil Registration District: Weobley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Weobley