Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MONKLAND, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Hereford; on the river Arrow, 2¾ miles SW by W of Leominster r. station. Post town, Leominster. Acres, 1,079. Real property, £2,035. Pop., 211. Houses, 48. The property is snbdivided. The manor belongs to G. Bengough, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Conches abbey, in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of William Rufus, by Ralph Toni; and was given, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is early English; the chancel was rebuilt in an ungainly manner, in 1825; the nave was repaired in 1853; and the entire fabric, at a cost of about £1,000, was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster