Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MOCCAS, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on the river Wye, 3½ miles SW by W of Moorhampton r. station, and 6½ SSW of Weobly. Post town, Bredwardine, under Hereford. Acres, 1,163. Real property, £1,604. Pop., 196. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Moccas Court and much of the land, belonged formerly to the Vaughans, and belongs now to Sir V. Cornewall, Bart. Moccas Court stands on an easy ascent, near the Wye; and has a finely wooded park, containing the largest weeping oak in England. A large and peculiar cromlech, called King Arthur's Stone, is on an eminence adjoining the park; includes a main stone, of elliptical form, 1 8 feet long, 9 feet broad, and 2 feet thick, now broken in the middle; and originally had eleven supporting stones, some of which have fallen. A small mound is near the cromlech. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £186. Patron, Sir V. Cornewall, Bart. The church is ancient, supposed to be the oldest in the county; presents a curious and primitive appearance; has an E apse and a small tower; contains several monuments and tablets; and was recently in disrepair.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Weobly
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobly
Poor Law Union: Weobly