Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Mansel Gamage, Mansell Grange
Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MANSELL-GAMAGE, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; 2 miles SSE of Moorhampton r. station, and 5 S of Weobly. Post town, Bishopstone, under Hereford. Acres, 1,323. Real property, £1,857. Pop., 131. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. Garnons, a fine castellated mansion, is the seat of Sir J. G. Cotterell, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £100. Patron, Sir. J. G. Cotterell, Bart. The church is decorated English, in good condition.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Mansel Gamage Herefordshire 1914
Cotterell Sir John Rchd. Geers, Bart., Garnons.
Drummond Rev. H. M., vicar; residence Byford rectory.
Price Charles, farmer, Scutt mill.
Soutter Harry Morgan, farmer, Shetton (letters Mansel Lacy).
Wootton Jas., carpenter & joiner, The Paddocks.
Wootton John Hy., assist. overseer and parish clerk; res., Byford.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Mansel Gamage Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Mansel Gamage is a parish distant 8 ½ miles from Hereford, 4 ½ from Weobley, and 12 from Hay, in Weobley Union and deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and diocese; it is near the Hereford and Hay turnpike road. The church of St. Giles, a stone building chiefly in the decorated style of architecture. The living is a vicarage, worth £118 yearly, with residence, and 1 acre of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Henry Cotterell, Bart. Garnons, the very beautiful castellated residence of Sir Henry Cotterell, Bart., is situated in this parish, and is a very conspicuous object of interest from the Hereford turnpike road. The population, in 1851, was 136, and the acreage is 870. The soil is stiff loam on gravel, with some limestone and freestone quarries. Sir Henry Cotterell, Bart., is land owner. The crops are chiefly wheat, barley, beans, and peas.
Letters through Hereford. The nearest money order office is at Weobley.
Cotterell Sir Henry Geers, Bart., Gartons [sic]
Melling John, mason
Wooton George, cooper
Bailey George, Shutton
Deeley John, Shutton
Griffiths William, (& miller), Scutt mill
Parry John, Bunshill
Pember Henry, Shutton
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
Civil Registration District: Weobley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Weobley