Mansel Lacy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Mansell Lacy
Other places in the parish include: Westmoor, Bunshill.
Parish registers begin: 1714
Parishes adjacent to Mansel Lacy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MANSELL-LACY, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, 2½ miles NW of Credenhill r. station, and 4½ SSE of Weobly. Posttown, Hereford. Acres, 1,547. Real property, £2,356. Pop., 331. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to Sir R. Price, Bart. Mansell House, adjacent to the church, is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £162. Patron, the Rev. G. H. Davenport. The church is ancient, and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Mansell-Lacy, 7 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 315
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Mansel Lacy Herefordshire 1914
Brown Rev. Waterhouse, vicar; residence Yazor
Burn Lieut.-Col. A. G., Mansel ho.
Dawe Edward, farmer.
Evans Geo., wheelwright & farmer.
Lane Wm., bailiff, Court farm.
Lewis Chas., assistant overseer, The Village.
Merrick George, farmer.
Wintour Wm., farmer, Parsonage farm.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Mansel Lacy Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Mansel Lacy is a parish and small village, situated in a sheltered valley between the wooded heights belonging to the Foxley domain, 7 miles west from Hereford, 6 south-west from Weobley, and 13 east from Kington, in Grimsworth Hundred, Weobley Union, Hereford deanery, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Kington turnpike rood. The church of St. Michael is a very ancient and interesting stone building with square tower. The living is a vicarage, worth £162 yearly, and three acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Robert Price, M.P. There is a very large and commodious school building in the Elizabethan style of architecture, with residence for master and mistress, for boys and girls, for the parishes of Mansel Lacy, Bishopstone, and Yazor. The population, in 1851, was 296, and the acreage is 1,492. The soil is loamy and gravel. Sir R. Price is lord of manor; and Sir R. Price, Guy’s Hospital, and Price’s Hospital, are the chief landowners. The chief cops are wheat, barley, and peas. Mansel House adjoining the church, is a modern brick building, at the foot of the Foxley Launs.
Westmoor hamlet is 1 mile west-by-south-west from the church.
Bunshill is a detached portion of Mansel Lacy; the property belongs to Guy’s Hospital; it extends from Kenchester, crossing the Brecon and Hereford turnpike roads to the river Wye, a portion of which river is included in the parish.
Letters arrive by foot post from Hereford 11 a.m., and despatched ½ past 2 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford.
Gunter Thomas, tailor
Hill Rev. Rowland, M.A., Mansell Lacy house
Jones William, carpenter and wheelwright
Lewis Richard, jun., tailor
Lewis Richard, sen., shoemaker
Pritchard Joseph, butcher, Townsend
Rudge John, blacksmith
Whittingslow John, miller
Barnett Thomas, Parsonage
Baynham Mrs. Mary, Mansel common
Davis James Elliott, Court farm
Eustone James, Stonewall
Lloyd William, Maclands
Hodges George, farmer
Lewis George, shoemaker
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Grimsworth
- Province: Canterbury