Lucton Herefordshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848


Lucton, a parish in the hund, of Wolphy, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 5 miles north-west of Leominster, and north-east of the Lug. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; returned at £40; gross income £61. Patrons, the governors of Lucton school. The free-school here was founded and endowed by John Pierrepont in 1708: income, in 1836, £1,215 0s. 4d. The boys to be elected to this school, which, in extent of income and general importance, is the principal one in the county, are, by the rules and orders for its government, to be taken from the parishes, hamlets, and townships of Lucton, Croft, Yarpole, Bircher, Luston, Eyton, Kingsland, Shobdon, and Aymestrey, all in Herefordshire; and at the time of their election, must be able to read distinctly the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed, the Ten Commandments, and a chapter of the New Testament. Continue reading “Lucton Herefordshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848”