Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Luston
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1711
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LUCTON, a parish in Leominster district, Hereford; near the river Lug, 2½ miles NNW of Kingsland r. station, and 5 NW of Leominster. Post town, Kingsland, under Leominster. Acres, 1,017. Real property, £1,531. Pop., 174 Houses, 29. The property, except what belongs to the grammar school, is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £98. Patrons, the Governors of Lucton School. The church was rebuilt in 1852. Pierrepont’s free grammar school here was founded in 1708; clothes and educates 50 boys; gives education, on moderate terms, to other pupils; and has an endowed income of about £1,250, and several valuable exhibitions.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Lucton, a parish in the hund, of Wolphy, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 5 miles north-west of Leominster, and north-east of the Lug. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; returned at £40; gross income £61. Patrons, the governors of Lucton school. The free-school here was founded and endowed by John Pierrepont in 1708: income, in 1836, £1,215 0s. 4d. The boys to be elected to this school, which, in extent of income and general importance, is the principal one in the county, are, by the rules and orders for its government, to be taken from the parishes, hamlets, and townships of Lucton, Croft, Yarpole, Bircher, Luston, Eyton, Kingsland, Shobdon, and Aymestrey, all in Herefordshire; and at the time of their election, must be able to read distinctly the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed, the Ten Commandments, and a chapter of the New Testament.
The rules and orders further provide, that such boys shall be of two sorts: first, of such whose parents are of the meaner sort of people, who shall not have in their own right lands above the yearly value of £20, according to the parish rate or rent, or otherwise manage at the same time lands of above the yeaily value of £50; the number of this sort shall not exceed 50 at one time; and they shall be educated in all the learning of the school they shall be capable of, or that shall be fit for them, without any fee or reward. As to the second sort of boys, it is declared, that tbey shall not exceed 30 at any one time, and shall be such whose parents have not lands of their own above the yearly value ot £50, nor yet shall rent lands which, with their own, are above the yearly value of £300; and such children shall be educated in all the learning of the said school they shall be capable of, or that shall be fit for them, and pay a settled fee of 20s. by the year. The boys of the first class are, in number, 50; the vacancies are filled up half-yearly by the assistant-governors. They are educated gratuitously, and receive each one set of clothes in the year: they are admissible between the ages of 7 and 10, and if they are to be apprenticed, are not permitted to remain in the school beyond 15; if, however, they should be candidates for an exhibition, they may continue until 18. These last remarks apply also to boys of the second class with this difference, that they may be admitted at any age not exceeding 14. It is required that all boys who are apprenticed from the school shall have attended it four years. Boys are recommended for apprenticeship, at the discretion of the assistant governors, for the term of 5 or 7 years, and a premium of £10 is paid with each apprentice. An exhibition of £51 per annum tor 4 years it given every alternate year, it there be a candidate duly qualified. The exhibitors are allowed to enter at any college in Oxford or Cambridge. Of the second class of boys there are 22. They pay £1 annually for their schooling, and are not clothed. There is a school library, to the support of which those boys, who desire to make use of it, contribute by an annual payment of 5s. The school is conducted by the headmaster, who is a clergyman and a graduate of Oxford or Cambridge, with the aid of a classical assistant who teaches also mathematics, writing, and arithmetic. The school consists of two departments, the Classical and tbe English. Tbe parents are permitted to choose to which of these divisions their sons shall belong, and to have them transferred from the one to the other. At the conclusion of each half-year, the assistant-governors meet at the school-house, for the purpose of recommending boys for admission and apprenticeship, of instituting a general examination into the state of the school, and of transacting such other business connected with the charity as may come before them. Minutes of their proceedings are drawn up and forwarded to the governors, together with the diary and report of progress furnished by the master. Other charities, in 1836, £3 6s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1833, £70 16s. In 1835. hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 11½ acres. Acres 1,180. Houses 28. A. P £1.296. Pop., in 1801, 156; in 1831, 174
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster