Longtown was a chapelry in Clodock, Herefordshire Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1705 see also Clodock
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1799
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LONGTOWN, a village and a township-chapelry in Clodock parish, Hereford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Monnow, under the Black mountains, 1½ mile E of the boundary with Wales, 4¾ N by W of Pandy r. station, and 5 W by S of Abbeydore; contains a fragment of an ancient castle; and has fairs on 29 April, 22 June, and 21 Sept. The chapelry is extensive; but the acreage of it is returned with the parish. Post town, Abbeydore, under Hereford. Real property, £4,912. Pop., 892. Houses, 184. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £68. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. There are a Baptist chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Roberts Joseph, Clodoch Mills, Herefordshire; and Joseph Roberts, jun., Abergavenny; wine and spirit merchants and corn dealers, July 17, 1840.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Longtown Through Time
Longtown is now part of Herefordshire district.