Llangarron was formed as an Ecclesiastical parish in 1849 from chapelry in Lugwardine, Herefordshire Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Llangarren
Other places included in the parish: Kilreague, Langstone and Tre-Evan, Langstone with Tre-Evan, Llangunnoc, Llangunnock, St Weonards, Trecilla, Tredoughan, Tretilla
Parish church: St. Deinst
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Separate registers exist for St Weonards:
- Parish registers: 1624
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Independent, Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LLANGARREN, a village and a parish in Ross district, Hereford. The village stands on the rivulet Garren, a tributary of the Wye, 5½ miles WSW of Ross r. station; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises the townships of Kilreague, Llangunnock, Tredooughan, Tretilla, Treeilla, and Langstone-with-TreEvan. Acres, 5,605. Real property, £8,054. Pop., 1,215. Houses, 255. There are several manors. Llangarren Court and Langstone Court are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of St. Weonard, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is mainly Norman; was recently repaired and enlarged; comprises ancient nave and chancel, and modern aisle, with ancient porch and tower; and contains several monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, a share in Mrs. F. Scudamore's charity, and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Llangarren Through Time
Llangarren is now part of Herefordshire district.
Civil Registration District: Ross
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Archenfield
Poor Law Union: Ross